Thursday 15 January 2015

News!

Each morning the boys and girls come tearing into the school with all sorts of interesting, hilarious and exciting news!


"I got my ears pierced!"

"It's my mom's birthday!"

"Check out my new socks!"

"Look at my harmonica!"

"This candy cane is almost as big as my leg!"

(all true statements, by the way!)

Since returning to school after the break, we have begun sharing our news together each morning. 

We work as a class to write someone's news, led by that particular student. By using the Word Wall, finding words we need around our room, utilizing our children's picture dictionaries, and stretching out words we don't know together, the news of the day is crafted! Then we spend a few minutes working with the sentence, sometimes hunting for vowels, other times counting syllables. It takes about 10 minutes, but it's 10 minutes of powerful, engaging learning!



Working together to write the news!


Hard at work!
"I went to the swimming pool."


Now a classmate is hunting for
vowels in the daily news.

This is a tremendously rich opportunity for countless Language Arts mini-lessons; capitals, end punctuation, rhyming words, environmental print, Word Wall Words, spelling, word families, vowels, phonic rules, blends, syllables, and so, so much more! 

Here is some of the news we've recently shared:
"I got my ears pierced."

"I got a Barbie Dream House for Christmas."

"I like to play Plants Vs. Zombies."
(and he used a classmate's shirt to spell Plants Vs. Zombies!)


"My sister got a Furby just like me!"

Sharing our news is one of our favourite times of day! We collaborate as a class and have lots of fun along the way, and there is ALWAYS exciting news in Grade One!




No comments:

Post a Comment