Tuesday 28 October 2014

Connecting to What We Read

Reading can become so much more meaningful when we are able to personally connect with the text! This past week we have been focusing on making a personal connection with what we are reading. This means the children have been challenged to connect the story to their own life, own experiences, and own feelings. 


Chart inspired by Cara Carroll at First Grade Parade

We enjoyed reading two books appropriate for the Halloween season, The Littlest Pumpkin and Where's My Mummy?. The Littlest Pumpkin is about a teeny tiny pumpkin that nobody picks from the pumpkin patch. Where's My Mummy? is about a little mummy who is lost and can't find his mommy!

Then boys and girls made meaningful text-to-self connections!







The little pumpkin was disappointed nobody picked her at the pumpkin patch. The boys and girls thought of a time they felt disappointed:


'I felt disappointed when mom made me nap."
"I felt disappointed when I didn't get to my aunty's house"
"I felt disappointed when Baba and Gigi went to Mexico without me"

We also enjoyed the story "Where's My Mummy?"! Where is little mummy's mama? Little mummy felt scared without mama! Here are our personal connections of a time we felt scared:
"When I'm scared a snack makes me feel better"
"When I'm scared I scream"
"When I'm scared I jump and close my eyes"

Continue to reinforce those personal connections to what your child reads. Connecting to the text is an excellent way to increase and develop your child's comprehension!

No comments:

Post a Comment