Thursday 29 October 2015

Halloween Week: Full Moon Edition

Between the full moon and Halloween approaching, boy has there been energy in Grade 1!




Rather than let that energy get out of control, the boys and girls got to work on several creative Halloween projects! Here is a peek at our week!

Making Connections


We were introduced to the reading comprehension strategy called "making text to self connections". Simply put, students are encouraged to connect a personal experience they have had with something in the story. This helps children better understand the story.



We practiced making connections with two Halloween books, The Littlest Pumpkin and Where's My Mummy? The Littlest Pumpkin is about a teeny tiny pumpkin that nobody picks from a pumpkin patch. Where's My Mummy is about a little mummy who is lost and can't find his mama!

Here are some of the personal connections the children made:
I felt disappointed when my brother did not play with me. 



I felt disappointed when my sister gets to go to a sleepover.

I felt disappointed when I didn't get to watch Transylvania 2. 


When I'm scared I cry.

When I'm scared I turn on the lights. 

The students' work will be coming down soon from the bulletin board so it can be enjoyed at home! Encourage your child to connect their experiences to those in the books you share. 


It Didn't Frighten Me Pattern Stories

After hearing the story It Didn't Frighten Me, the boys and girls got to work creating their own spooky pattern stories! Here is the criteria they followed:




The boys and girls worked over several days to complete their stories. 
Students are encouraged to work anywhere in the room
where they are comfortable and can focus

Here are a few pages from these amazing books!

These spooky books will come home for the weekend, along with a few other work samples from this past month. Students in Kindergarten and junior high enjoyed hearing these stories today, too!




What Will Mrs. Beliveau be for Halloween?

While today's writing prompt was disguised as a silly writing activity, it was actually a sneaky way to get the kids interacting with our Word Wall!


Our Word Wall is where we post the words we have learned in our weekly spelling program. We pulled down the ones we needed to write our sentence: 

The word "be" wasn't posted yet on our wall, but we were able to use "me", "she" and "he" to figure it out. 
Mrs. Beliveau will be a... cat, a fairy princess,
a scream ghost, and a hot dog. 

Great suggestions, kids! But you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to see Mrs. Beliveau's costume!



Where's My Mummy activity and craftivity from Deanna Jump's unit
The Littlest Pumpkin activity and craftivity from Cara Carroll

2 comments:

  1. Great fun!! Glad you survived the full moon and Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Halloween was busy but so much fun. Took a few extra prayers to survive the week, though!

      Delete